Organizing your garage may be last on your “to do” list, but it’s something many homeowners benefit from greatly. That’s because the venerable storage space has been getting lots of extra love these days thanks, in part, to modern building techniques and a growing movement to turn any space in your home into a usable and functional area for your entire family.
So, if you’re looking for some tips on getting your garage in tip-top shape, then look no further.
Here are 3 guidelines to get you started.
1. Devise a Plan and De-clutter
Clutter can really make a garage unusable. Even if your garage is clean, surrounding clutter acts as a deterrent and an eyesore. If you are ready to move your garage into the realm of usability, separate your items into one of the following categories: frequently used, long term storage, donate, trash. Then start your de-clutter process.
2. Arrange Storage Solutions
Once you have separated your belongings and (hopefully) thrown out and donated many unused items, it’s time to properly organize. Sound daunting? It doesn’t have to.
With so many great organizers, and sturdy off-the-floor cabinets designed to keep your belongings free of debris and water, organization is a breeze. Take your garage to the next level by installing wall mounted and/or ceiling mounted storage systems so that everything has a place.
3. Maximize and Finalize
After your solutions are put in place, now it’s time to put on some final touches.
- Install a heavy duty trash can for easy trash removal.
- If you store tools in the garage, keep them hung and organized for easy access.
- Set up a mini-storage area for smaller items like nails, screws and washers.
- Hang garden and lawn tools up with the aid of hooks that easily fit into your slat wall.
- Light darker areas to create more of a home feel. That way, you’ll be less likely to let it get messy again.
See? It is possible. With a little bit of time and effort, you can turn your garage into a functional space over just a weekend.